You’ll feel like a top chef whipping up this four-mushroom risotto from Chicago chef Fabio Viviani’s new cookbook, Fabio’s 30-Minute Italian.
The book has more than 100 easy Italian recipes for salads, soups, fresh homemade pasta, seafood, desserts and more—plus his tips and advice for recipes throughout. (Click here to learn more about Fabio’s new cookbook and find out his Chicago favorites!)
Pair this fresh, hearty summer dish with a bottle of Fabio Viviani Wines (you can find it at Whole Foods—check out Fabio’s new special reserve wine, Fatty Pope!) for the perfect Italian combo.
Fabio Viviani’s Four-Mushroom Risotto with Parsley Salad and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Serves 4, 10 minutes prep time, 20 minutes cooking time
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided in half
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup torn cremini mushrooms
- ¼ cup torn oyster mushrooms
- ½ cup torn shiitake mushrooms
- ¼ cup sliced button mushrooms
- ½ cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup grated Grana Padano
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup Italian parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper
1. Melt the butter in 2 heavy saucepans on medium high. Gently sauté the onions in one until softened, about 3 minutes. In the other, cook the mushrooms until caramelized, about 6-8 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Turn off mushroom pan.
2. Stir in the rice to the onions and cook, stirring all the time, for about 2 minutes, until the mix becomes translucent. Add the wine and cook for around 6-7 minutes, until the wine is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add 2 cups of the stock to the pan and simmer gently until the stock is absorbed, stirring every minute or so to prevent sticking.
4. Gradually add more stock, a ladleful at a time, until the rice is tender, about 15-18 minutes. Adjust seasoning in the risotto with salt and pepper and add the mushrooms. Turn heat to low and stir in cheese.
5. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, sun-dried tomato, and parsley. Use this as a garnish on top of risotto when served.
From FABIO’S 30-MINUTE ITALIAN by Fabio Viviani. Copyright © 2017 by the author and reprinted with permission of St. Martin’s Press, LLC.